Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Do you have a spare Ark we can use???

We had major storms in the Memphis area this afternoon, which caused some serious flash flooding in Collierville. Chris was home with Riley during the activities while I was stuck at work, watching the news on my laptop, and waiting for the tornadoes to pass. The last time I heard, we had 3 tornadoes confirmed in the area, but don't quote me on that. Luckily, we didn't have any reported in Collierville, but we had a lot of rain, and I had to make multiple detours in Collierville just to find streets that weren't flooded. I saw many homes that had water flowing backwards, out of the street into the garages, and I'm sure those homes had flooding inside.

Chris had been taking pictures of the weather, since it is a common practice for the creek below to flood some. This creek runs through the east side of Collierville, and into the Wolf River, further north of our neighborhood.

This picture is actually after it was all over, but it gives you a reference point of where the creek is in relation to our house and other land marks. We have been waiting for 2 weeks to get a fence up...note the post already in place. Also note the bird feeder hanging from the little shepard's crook.
This was the worst of it, and this is what I saw when I arrived home. Our neighbor's fence is 4 feet tall, and you can see the little black speck on the right side of this picture which is that bird feeder from the picture above. My flower beds are under this with our beautiful daylilies. :(
This is our other neighbor's fence...

...which didn't make it. It's hard to tell, but there are at least 3 fences in a row that lost this section due to all the rushing water.

This is our front yard. Due to our neighbor's fence, it pushed the water into the street. This was also one of the first things I saw as I pulled in.


Here is the water mark on our house. Luckily, our house is built up, unlike many houses on our street.


Chris also put together a short video of clips of the water and damage, which was just impressive.

2 comments:

JordanandSaundersRamsey said...

HOLY COW....look at those pictures! I like you was at work and had to drive through the flooded streets to get home! Glad your house is ok!

The Benjamins said...

Those pictures are crazy. Glad y'all are okay!